Conversation starters, in my opinion, are wildly underrated. Maybe people think you only need them if you aren’t good at talking.
This is not true!
Conversation starters can make a person that is already confident in speaking have more exciting conversations!
Do you really enjoy talking surface-level stuff about the weather or how you hate your job right now? Nope, I certainly don’t. And that’s why a conversation starter can turn any chinwag into the most exciting and enlightening chat you’ve ever had!
Not only can you have better chats, but conversation starters can also break the ice and make it easier for people to converse. They are a great way to get to know someone better and create stronger bonds with friends and partners.
I’ve compiled a list below of my favorite conversation starters for you to use in your next chinwag. Enjoy!
30 Conversation Starters for Juicier Chats
- What do you think about advances in AI? Does any of it concern you?
- What are some insecurities you wished you didn’t have?
- What do you think will be the next significant technological advance?
- Where does happiness come from? Define what happiness means to you.
- If you were given a chance to explore the deepest oceans, get on a rocket to space, or visit 60 different countries, which one you choose and why?
- What is your biggest irrational fear?
- Have you ever seen something you couldn’t make sense of? E.g., a ghost.
- What’s your favorite memory with your mom? What’s your favorite memory with your dad?
- When you were a kid, did you feel that you fit in?
- How do you think people see you?
- What’s been the most significant change you’ve ever made to date?
- If you could be given the date of your death, would you want to know it?
- What is something that other people like that annoys you?
- Do you think anything happens after death?
- Have you always had the same political beliefs? What shaped them?
- Describe in detail your dream hotel?
- What do you find difficult to communicate directly?
- If you could know the answer to one question about your future, what would the question be?
- If you could offer a piece of advice to your 10-year-old self, what would it be?
- Do you ever wish you were raised differently? If so, how?
- What’s the most important lesson you’ve ever learned?
- Would you prefer to be super bright or super empathetic?
- When in your life have you felt awe?
- What’s the most caring act anyone has ever done for you?
- What is the most significant difference you feel you have made in the life of any individual?
- What’s the biggest lie you have ever told?
- Design your ideal country. How would it be different from your real one?
- If you could speak to anyone in the world and have a one-hour conversation, who would you call?
- You must relive one day of your life forever. Which day do you choose?
- Do you think your dreams have meaning?
- What consumes the bulk of your thoughts?
- For 24 hours, time stands still for everyone except you. What do you do?
- What do you think Deja-vu is all about?
- What is the craziest, most outrageous thing you want to achieve?
- Do you ever experience repeat dreams about a past life?
- Do you believe in extra-terrestrial life? Elaborate on why or why not.
- Do you think parallel universes might exist?
- What would you do with one whole week to do anything, all expenses paid?
- Will technology save humanity or destroy it?
- What’s the one thing you wish you’d paid more attention to in school?
For a load more awesome conversation starters, check out this Parade blog – 250 Perfect Conversation Starters for Any Social Situation. You might also like our blog on how to keep a conversation going.
Check out more Conversation related blogs…
100 Date Night Questions: Wonderfully Weird Conversation Starters
Say hello to 100 date night questions, a perfect mix of random, funny, and wonderfully weird conversation starters. If stale and uninspired questions make you cringe with boredom and you want to inject some fun, creativity, and quirkiness into your date night...
Best Small Group Ice Breaker Games
Small group ice breaker games have one thing that most other games do not: you walk away knowing more about a person. And hopefully feeling a lot closer to them (or reaffirming they are not your people, which is just as important if you ask me). Icebreaker...
Second Date Questions – Powerful and Intimate Questions to Ask Your Crush
If you’re thinking about second date questions or even third date questions, then we would definitely be friends IRL! I love the proactive approach to dating because you get much more out of it! And thinking about questions you want to ask a person means you’re a...
25 Conversation Starters for Couples – Fun Questions for Great Chats
Conversation starters for couples are a must-try! Sure, it’s easy to talk about the weather or our current Netflix binge (mines The Office if you were wondering). But THE best conversations are the most thought-provoking and rich. Nothing beats diving in deep to a...
How To Keep a Conversation Going: 8 Tips To Small Talk Super Status
Is there anything worse than the fear of how to keep a conversation going? There you are, amid a conversation, nodding along while the other person is talking, thinking, “oh my goodness, what will I say next?”. You wanna make sure you keep the other person interested,...